Packing on massive muscle doesn’t need to come with a massive grocery bill. IFBB Pros Brett Wilkin and Ivana Ivusic Wilkin take you with them as they make their routine trip to Costco and give you some tips and tricks on how to get all your food without breaking the bank. Brett and Ivana, like to shop at Costco every 2-3 weeks.
- Sugar free green iced tea
- Flavored water
- Ground beef (88%)
- Air chilled chicken breast
- Garbage bags
- Bottled Water
- Whole eggs
- Egg whites
- Orange juice
- White rice individual serving packets
- Lemon juice
- Garbage bags
- Batteries (for food scale)
By buying in bulk Brett and Ivana were able to save approximately $150 on their grocery bill by shopping at Costco and buying in bulk as opposed to the local grocery store.
4 Simple Strategies for Stretching Your Dollar at the Grocery Store
- Buy in bulk. There are numerous reasons to buy in bulk. First, it can save you a ton of cash. Second, since you will be going through a lot of food, especially during the offseason, buying in bulk quantities will sustain you while reducing the frequency of your grocery store visits. The best places to buy in bulk are Costco and Sam’s Club.
- Make a grocery list and stick to it. The best way to avoid adding unnecessary items to your cart is to have a list on hand when you head to the grocery store. Your list should include the items you need to make healthy muscle-building meals and snacks to fuel your bodybuilding goals. Make a menu plan to help you put together your grocery shopping list so you only buy what you need.
- Avoid shopping when you're hungry. When you shop on an empty stomach, you're bound to grab unnecessary (and often unhealthy) items. That family pack of cookies may look delicious but likely isn't the best choice for packing on lean muscle.
- Freeze for later. Prioritize high-quality lean meats and buy them in bulk. You can portion out single servings or 2-3 days' worth of meals and freeze them. Frozen vegetables should also be on your list. They offer the same nutritional value as the fresh stuff and save you time and money.